Turkey chili with beans is a popular and healthy dish that is perfect for a chilly day or a weeknight meal. This recipe is a great alternative to traditional beef chili, as it uses lean ground turkey instead of ground beef. Here are some tips and tricks for making the perfect turkey chili with beans
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can of dice tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, sliced jalapeños, chopped cilantro, sour cream
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, and red bell pepper to the pot and cook until softened about 5 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper to the pot and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, and chicken broth to the pot and stir to combine.
- Bring the chili to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until the chili has thickened to your desired consistency.
- Serve hot, topped with your choice of optional toppings if desired.